Wednesday 30 July 2008

The Dark Knight.

Oh & also, a quick note - the new Batman film is, in a word, FANTASTIC.

I'm not really an action/superhero film fan (well actually I'm not AT ALL), but the Dark Knight was amazing. Really slick. And it actually seemed to have a storyline, I think. I was fully entertained throughout - and that NEVER happens in these sorts of films, especially if they're over two hours long*. But it was great. I'm taking my little brother to see it, as an excuse to see it again. I highly recommend it.

The only thing that grated in the film was Batman's RIDICULOUS voice. Not only was it was stupidly deep and gravelly (going with the macho thing though, so is partly forgivable - or at least understandable), but also it sounded like he was speaking in a whisper, but at the volume of a normal person yelling at the top of their voice. A sort of shouted whisper. Very weird, and rather annoying.

Heath Ledger's Joker kicks Jack Nicholson's arse, big time. I watched the whole of that Batman film again a couple of days ago to see**, and Nicholson's performance is not controlled enough and just comes off as nasty and vindictive rather than Ledger's performance of a thoroughly creepy, crazed, and damaged Joker. Which suits the character much better. Shame for Nicholson, as obviously his Joker was adequate at the time - unfortunately for him, it just pales in comparison. I only wish Heath Ledger was able to go on and play even more roles. The potential was huge. But I wont go on about that, as I feel the same as everyone else does about it all.

Anyway, as I said, once you get over Batman's habit of whispered shouting, the film is really really good and everyone - everyone - should see it.


*Yes, I know that description makes me sound like a child with zero attention span. I'm not, I just am really not that into actiony superheroey films in most cases.

**Which I do not recommend doing. Its too long, and quite simply too rubbish. Dont bother - find youtube clips instead.

No comments: